Thursday, November 16, 2006

Content living

I know a girl. Her name’s Kuku. I have known her since 99’ when I was in my first year college. She walked up to m the first time and asked for a light. When I lit the match she asked for a cigarette. It was a Wills navy cut, she looked at it and asked for something else. When I offered to get her brand, she asked for fresh lime soda. Did I get irritated? No. We smoked, we drank fresh lime and she spoke about being stoned. I smiled. Then I never saw her in college. I asked around, most people were clueless. I met her a year later when I had dropped out of college. I was taking a break from my education and she was already on a break. Well yes she remembered me. She asked where I got my eyebrow piercing and she had one the next day.

As a college student/dropout I have seen many broke days. It didn’t worry me any more. We were reliving baby boomer lifestyles and were high on flower power. Liberated souls, minimal clothing, warped makeup, loud hairstyles, unacceptable social behavior, red eyes, strong perfumes and attitudes that made others turn their faces. Well wishers advised us about repercussions of the negative publicity, friends stood by us and we all loved each other. At that time the country was awakening to brand names and dressing differently and experimenting with social stigmas, we were pros, quite literally born to live a dream, and we did justice to it. We also did make great friends and archrivals during that phase. One day Kuku asked me what floozie meant, I immediately looked at the dictionary and then shut it and asked how her day had been. She said it was all good and someone had told her she needed to get a life. He had also said I was pretty okay but she was certainly a floozie. ??i asked who but we never saw him again. Well soon she knew the meaning and she shared it with me, and we looked into each others faces, a wee bit serious for a few split seconds and then we laughed very loud. The truth was I had just about figured out what being with a male was and Kuku was quite simply as petite as me. So here we were just coming in terms with the feminine aspects of our lives and were already very known. Why? Because we never shied away from speaking about our lives. Nothing was under wraps. It was a big event for us.. so cheers.

Kuku soon had a Swedish boyfriend, I had quite a few. She had even more colorful dreams and soon she was married and gone. I was again in college and happily in love. She informed her parents after she left the country, and I called and told mum I am living in. Kuku visited every year or 18 months. And we would laugh into the wee hours of the morning. When she came back 2 years back, she refused to go back or call her guy. I know him; he’s a nice guy and a musician. Anyways, she didn’t go back. Well two years later she has a baby, yes a little wonderful boy. She loves him and her guy now. They can’t be married as yet and I am not sure they want to. I don’t like this guy much; I have met him 3 times already.

The truth in all this is that I have only met this girl about 50 times in life. No exchange of letters mails or calls. But some people you always like. She is one of them. The other reason why I have mentioned this is no matter what, you can survive if you wish too. I am very happy and no longer in love. But whatever the odds are against you, life is beautiful, live it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember Nabanita once told me "life is a bed of roses with its due share of thorns."

'Tis a bit hard ; one must be a fighter from the heart.

I dedicate this part of a song to both Kuku & Nabanita. The title is 'Hard Road.'

"Brother's sharing, mother's caring
Nightime falling victim to the dawn
Shadows small
Days are crawling, time is calling
To the Earth that not that life has gone
Love line drawn

Oh, it's a hard road
Carry your own load
Oh, it's a hard road
Oh, it's a hard road...

We're living in sorrow, we're living the best
And look to the future, `cause life goes together now
We're living in sorrow, we're living the best
And look to the future, `cause life goes together now
We're living in sorrow, we're living the best
And look to the future, `cause life goes together now..."

Black Sabbath