Thursday, November 16, 2006

Ponx

The first time I met her, was a typical hostel setup, of course devoid of nasty dark hostel horror tales. So as part of getting to know a newcomer, I asked her to sing. I had been spared such an agonizing moment as I had joined a lot younger when kids are only loved and comforted and not bullied. I wasn’t particularly a bully but have lived with that reputation. So to justify my presence I didn’t let her move till the song was not complete. I don’t recall but she sang and we smiled and clapped. Someone even remarked how she sang well, and a few of us nodded. All of this occurred in the presence of a bunch of smart and young boarders. Of course Priyanka never engaged in a solo performance again as it was never required. But I must mention she wasn’t a bad singer, I was.

This is only a small test of our characters. Both of us are what the other isn’t. So what is it that still keeps us together? A comfort level that doesn’t stop us from asking questions, speaking our hearts and enjoying each others company. The truth is I have never met someone like her.

We don’t like the same things. She can’t stand the cigarettes; my piercings totally put her off, she hates me not having a phone, she thinks I am too skinny and a few other aspects of my living. Well, I can live with this, because we can talk normally about everything else. Even rock, she learnt about music a couple of years ago. We can talk about food, shops, clothes, shoes, work, vacations, Goa, travel, weddings, dates and boyfriends. The word she loves using for me is ‘sidey’ cause I am happily engaging my time in activities and meetings that are of no consequence to her. Well as for me, now I understand that she is a software developer. Years have gone by since we’ve known each other. The last few years we’ve seen each other only barely. But the only realization I have had is that I’ll never forget her. In friends there are odd kinds and so we are perfect examples.

The best part I am yet to tell you. I have realized after meeting loads of people no one shares the same passion as her. Not only did we see eye to eye but we did what the other said, not because we were idiots, but because we thought same. We still do. In all honestly se was one of the first people who made me realize what nice people are. She made my bed; she washed my uniform sometimes and tidied my rack. I just played all the time. She asked if I had studied and she explained subjects to me. She even watched me participate in sports. She even played basketball only for a while, but honestly I think she could do everything.

To mark my respect for her I gifted her blue eye pencils and crazy junk jewelry, for which she had no taste, but she received them graciously. She sipped her first beer with me. She came for her first party with me and she always dressed cute.

What sets her apart, many things; her greatest attributes are her directness and her infectious smile. Well, smile is an under statement, she laughs real loud and she makes me laugh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These types of relationships are good examples of symbiotic relationships that exist in the animal world. Symbiosis is a kind of partnership between two organisms in nature wherein both the organisms benefit from the relationship.

Other types of relationships also exist in nature:

(1) Commensalism is a symbiotic relationship in which one organism benefits and the other neither benefits nor is harmed.

(2) Parasitism is a symbiotic relationship in which one organism benefits and the other is harmed.

MORAL: We all are basically animals with only one difference; we have the superhuman ability to DECIEVE OURSELVES AND CONVINCE OURSELVES THAT OUR LIVES AND RELATIONSHIPS ARE UNIQUE, when it is something that is already provided by nature.

vanita said...

PONKU!!!!!
babe where are you??

oh my god do you remember...how we used to bunk study class in the afternoon and go sleep in the hospital!!!!!

nabo...woman callme ...you've dissapeared again.

van